The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rwanda 11.26.10 Pedicures at N*el

Friday morning we decided to try a group project with the kids at N*el.  Before we got out of the van, I heard several of the kids calling my name. 

They remembered my name.

I tried to call them by name if I remembered.
I recalled a few.
=)

So we wanted to make handprints with paint.  The idea was to do something similar to what we did with the t-shirts at Home of Innocence---writing out the verse, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
Or at least "God made me" and then putting their handprint on the paper.

It did not quite work out that way. 

With 7 of us and about 100 of them, we got the handprints on the page and that's about it.

We did good with supplies--had plenty for everyone, but not so good with the finishing touches.


(we definitely learned what we can do better on the next trip)

Emily went straight to the baby room when we arrived.  She wanted to have another baby on her back.  She ended up spending the first 2 hours just hanging out with the little babies. 

There were about 20 babies between the ages of 3 days to 6 months.

After our handpainting project, I found the older girls.  Actually, they were all waiting for me because they had heard I was bringing stuff to wash their feet and paint their toe nails.  I only got to wash three of the girls' feet when they asked if they could pass the nail polish around and start painting each others' toes and finger nails. 

I had the purple polish and it was a favorite....
or they just wanted me to do the painting.

I prayed for each one I touched,
Their feet were dirty.
Some had missing toenails.

After I painted toes I started painting finger nails.

I had hands and feet all around me.


I painted on both girls and boys.


I wanted each one to feel loved and special.


I asked, "What's your name?" in Kenyarwanda

After all the older girls were finished they went and did some kind of a group dance.  I tried to pay attention as I kept painting.  I probably painted for 2 hours and one of the mamas thought I had had enough and told all the kids, "finished!"

I would have painted 'til every drop of purple was gone.
I didn't mind.

Next post will be about Jeremy and the boys at N*el...promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment