The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rwanda 11.24.10 Saying good-bye and Gahanga

Today is the last day with the guys at Home of Innocence. 

=(

We finished two of four rabbit hutches and got the remaining materials cut and ready to build two more hutches.

We needed to buy rice, sugar, and milk for another orphanage we will be travelling to tomorrow so the girls went back to the store.

One of the boys lingered by our van as we got ready to go.  He didn't speak English but I talked to him anyway telling him we would be back after the store.


He was sad.

He knew it was our last day.

I was sad too.

This boy actually has a family, but he kept running away to live on the streets.

He's nine years old.

He has been at the Home of Innocence for about a month now and hasn't run away. 

I wonder what keeps him there.

It's amazing how we connected with and loved these boys so quickly!  Oh I am so sad and miss them already!

The Home of Innocence was Emily and Wesley's favorite place on our trip.

AGCI is actually planning another trip in April--they want to send a team to work at the Home of Innocence and spend time with these boys.

Are you interested??

I wish I could go!!

The deadline to sign up is December 15th so if you feel that tugging at your heart---don't delay!


We packed our lunches today and ate before heading out to the

Gahanga Orphanage.


Gahanga is home to about 45 people from the ages of 7 to 30--all with disabilities.  Many greeted us on the front porch as we walked up and I was so proud of Emily and Wesley for the way they handled themselves.

We patted or shook each one's hand and said hello. 

It was a little uncomfortable since most were not verbal and there was lots of drool and such. 

Emily read a Bible Story.


Then the kids and I hung paintings that we brought from a local girl scouts troop here at home.



Jeremy unpacked all the donations and then we started taking pictures of the residents to hang up as well.  The caretakers wanted everyone to have on the same shirt so they got busy helping everybody change.

Jeremy met a young man named Michelle, who was originally from Zaire.  He spoke some English and some French, and when he got excited he said,

"Ooh la la!"

He also taught Jeremy a song in Kenyarwanda that means

"and my God is amazing"

Jeremy busts out in that song at random times.

=)

Okay, on a side note, I got sick today---you know, the travel sickness that everyone fears.  I started taking my Cipro and otc drugs and was good to go.  Everyone on our team ended up getting a little sick (except Larry), but it was very manageable.

Nothing to worry about.

Oh--tomorrow we head out of town to our last orphanage.  We almost missed one of the biggest blessings of our trip. 

and the scenery along the way was breath-taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment