The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rwanda 11.26.10 At N*el

Our time at N*el Orphanage was not long enough.  We spent Thursday afternoon and Friday morning here.  When we drove onto the property Thursday afternoon, Mama Athenes (I call her Mama N*el) and lots of children greeted us by clapping.

We were given a tour and I was amazed at how orderly it was.   I guess I imagined an orphanage with 600 kids would be kind of crazy and chaotic.
(kinda like 'Annie')
=)

Christine interpreted as Mama N*el explained that the orphanage started in 1954.  There are 578 orphans to be exact, but 196 of them are 18 or older. 
They have no place to go.

 This afternoon we did sidewalk chalk, songs, and coloring books.

We had many tour guides.  Notice Emily is carrying a baby on her back.  We were invited at once to carry babies on our backs.  Emily enjoyed this very much.

 Dinner is about to be served.
We got to help serve.

They have pigs, cows, goats, and maybe a few other kinds of animals on the property.  You can't tell in this picture, but this pig is as big as a cow. 

Bigger.

Not.even.kidding.

Tomorrow is our last day before we leave on Saturday and I can already feel the sadness settling in like a fog.
I can't wait to share Jeremy's thoughts about our last day at N*el.  He wrote an email to a friend after we got back and he gave me permission to post part of it.
You'll have to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment