The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Thursday, November 4, 2010

a little bit about emily

I want to share a little bit about Emily.

She is my oldest daughter, at the wonderful tween age of 11.

She likes to get together with friends and cousins.


She loves each Holiday. 















She loves Christmas and her birthday especially.


She likes school, but would rather have the day off.  She would probably watch TV all day if I let her.


She likes books, plays, and movies.





She loves animals and is personally offended if animals or the environment are mistreated.

She loves roller coasters--the faster the better.  Loves a day at the amusement park!


She loves desserts---but chocolate must be involved or it is not really dessert.



s'mores are a favorite

















She has autism.

Autism has many faces so let me explain how it is for Emily in a way you might understand....

imagine living in a foreign country where you not only have to learn the language, but also

the accent

the slang phrases

jokes that you can't really translate literally

the culture

what's acceptable

what's not

Sometimes it can be really overwhelming.

Sometimes people don't understand you, don't like you, maybe even mistreat you

because you are a foreigner.

But God has placed you in that country for His purpose....

it is so that the works of God might be displayed in you. (John 9:1-3)

God, thank you for creating Emily
 just.the.way.she.is.
Thank you for entrusting her to us.
May Your works be displayed in her.

I often meet other parents who have newly discovered their child has autism.  There's a lot of depressing stuff on the internet and I encourage them to stop reading all the negative junk. 

I often share this short story someone shared with me after we got our diagnosis: Welcome to Holland

Don't miss it, you gotta read it

No comments:

Post a Comment