The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Thursday, January 13, 2011

Obedience is costly

I was reading about Abraham this morning.  Have you read it lately?  The one about how he and Isaac headed out to make a sacrifice, and the sacrifice was going to be ISAAC. (Genesis 22:1-19)

Can you imagine what Abraham was thinking for the 3 days he travelled? 

Can you imagine what Sarah would have done if she knew? 
Maybe she did know--it doesn't say.

Can you imagine what Isaac was thinking and saying when he was bound and staring at the point of Abraham's raised knife?

What if Abraham had said, "God, no way.  I can't do that.  He's my son.  I love him.  I can't do what you ask."

But he was obedient. 

Even to the point of losing his son. 

And God stopped him and provided a ram.

And He said, "because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son--blessing I will bless you, and multiplying your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore, and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies.  In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice."

And I started thinking....

Do we tell God, "No way.  That's my family.  I love them.  I can't do what you ask."

And what blessing do we miss out on by not being obedient? 

What magnificent work do we miss because we think we can't do what He asks?

Did Abraham really fathom all that God promised? 

Did he really grasp it? 

Do we? 

He says He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,

according to His power that is at work within us. (Eph 3:20)

What blessing, what power, what incredible work of GOD
we forfeit when we say, "I can't do what you ask of me."

Obedience is costly.

BUT the reward is immeasurable.


No comments:

Post a Comment