The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Saying YES...Part 2

Fall 2009
One Sunday night we sat on the couch and opened the conversation up again.  I wrote about this in an earlier post....

We had several speakers come through our church in the Fall sharing God's heart for the orphan.  One Sunday morning, a guest speaker was showing pictures of different orphans around the world and he asked what came to our minds. 

People in the congregation started speaking up.....

"Love"
"Desperation"
"Guilt"
"Compassion"

All I could think is

"That's my child."

I did not speak up in church but that night Jeremy and I talked.  We both wanted to go somewhere and work with orphans.

We had originally thought that all five of us would go somewhere this past summer for 3-6 weeks.  We knew we wanted to work with an organization or a country that we would at least have the opportunity to pursue adoption.  I knew that my heart was already wide open to welcome more children into our home.  In fact, Jeremy and I had already let our first adoption agency know that we were feeling led to open our home to a sibling group.  New Life would keep us in mind in case they had a special situation come up.  We did not know if it meant foster care or adoption, but we just knew we needed to first say "yes" to the nudging in our hearts to be open.


January 2010
So we began to set our sights abroad--serving orphans in some other part of the world on a short term mission trip.  It wasn't until January 2010 when we really looked, asked questions, and spoke to people like Harris III (who shared about Holt International at his show) and Will McGinniss (formerly with Audio Adrenaline, now works with The Hands and Feet Project). 

As I looked at different opportunities, my heart was drawn to Africa and I could not help myself from automatically thinking ADOPTION.  I had to make Jeremy very aware that one, two, or three weeks in an orphanage will ONLY make me more sure, more in love, and more ready to adopt adopt adopt!

He understood...
completely.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment