The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Lessons from my East African Sister

I found this draft that I had started in April 2018 on my blog. I don't know why I never posted it--probably just got interrupted by the daily busyness and never got back to it. This was written when we shared our home with a family of 7 for 11 months...



Since Christine and I have shared our lives the past few months, I have observed things about her that I want to imitate.

Lesson 1: Mind your manners.  

One thing I noticed quickly with Christine was how she always started her greeting (via text or in person) with "Good Morning."  And if she began her text without saying it first, she would follow up with it....it was more noticeable because it would come in a second text.

It's a very small thing but I started doing it too.  I try to remember to do it when I text my kids and others and when I send emails.  It may not make much of a difference for others but it does for me.

Another thing I hear from her often is "Thank you so much."  Whether it's a response to me doing dinner that night or to "I'll pick up the kids," she is quick to tell you thanks.  And not just thank you, but thank you SO MUCH.

With intention I have started adding that to my language too.  It's kindness.  It's a small way to tell the people around you that you appreciate them and what they do.

Lesson 2: Every day is a beautiful day.

Anytime I ask her "how was your day?" She responds "it was beautiful" or "wonderful" no.matter.what.

I heard her say to her 5 year old recently, "There are no rough days when we have 2 legs for walking and 2 hands, eyes to see and shoes for your feet."  So now I understand how every day is beautiful in her eyes.

Lesson 3: Thankfulness.  

We walk about 2 miles most mornings and Christine can spend the first mile and a half just thanking God for this and she is so grateful for that.  Do you know how long it takes us to walk 2 miles?  Probably more minutes than it should, but she fills the minutes with thankfulness.  I always learn something new I should be grateful for....I mean that I never even thought to thank God for.

Want an example?
We started off the other morning and she began thanking God for how He gives man intelligence and the ability to make things and as she continued in detail, I listened and noted that she is ascribing to God the glory that belongs to Him by thanking Him for giving us brains and abilities.  And it made me realize how often I don't give God the glory.

Her prayers often do that.  I listen, agree, and I'm convicted at the same time.

If I am the one to start praying, I move on to my petitions about 30 seconds (or less) into my prayer.  I am learning to spend more time being thankful.  And I'm challenged to move beyond my shallow thankfulness into deeper thanksgiving.



Our families shared about 330 suppers as we ate together every night. The Ngogas arrived just before Hurricane Harvey and I grieved when they moved to their own home in July of 2018. We shared birthdays, holidays, and just everydays. I learned far more than what was recorded here and miss the time we had together. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment