The day I got married, one of my closest friends looked me in the eye and said "God has many wild and wonderful things ahead for you and Jeremy."

Being called mom by 7 kids is definitely wild. Each day I look for the wonder in it all...and give thanks.

Partnering with my husband in life, parenting, work and serving is definitely wonderful. He is my favorite.



Friday, May 13, 2022

Counting Gifts

It's been a hard season. I keep thinking I will write when I get out of this season, but it's still hard and I don't see any break soon.

So how do I cope in the unrelenting waves of hard? 

One way I keep walking forward through hard seasons is finding things to be grateful for in each day. I started a journal in 2015 after reading 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Now I have multiple journals and nearly 8000 reminders of good. Reminders that God is present. He is kind. He sees me. And He holds all things in His hands.

Here are a few things that have made the list lately...

7812. Jeremy and I getting our 2 mile walk in with the dogs.



7828. Emily starting a new job.



7892. Seeing the magnolias in bloom next to the church with the red doors.


7895. Savannah and I getting dressed up and going to dinner and shopping on a Friday night.



7898. Birthday dinner for Wes and Marian (the twins) at Sho-Gun.



7905. Saimon getting a bouquet of flowers for me Saturday morning.



7908. Escape Room with most of our kids on Mother's Day--we enjoyed it and made it out with 7 minutes to spare! (truly miraculous)



7918. Omar teaching Katerin how to rope.


I came across Jeremiah 15:19 about a year ago and one part of it stood out to me as I practice gratitude. Right in the middle of the verse, it says,

 "if you extract the precious from the worthless, you will become My spokesman." 

Practicing gratitude causes me to extract the precious from the worthless. It halts the rehearsal of toxic thoughts and turns my attention to the kind gifts God gives in the midst of trials.

What kind gifts did you notice today?


5 comments:

  1. Oh, my! Your kids are almost adults. Savannah is so grown up. We are also navigating waves of hard. Cherishing these last gasps of a noisy house. Watching kids fly and flail… Really enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--we are not alone are we? I continue to find that I lack expertise and experience even after being a mom for over 2 decades! Always seem to stumble my way through unchartered territory. I'm thankful to share the road with other moms. :)

      Delete
  2. You are a blessed by many and a blessing to many. You are loved and a great example to many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words Vanessa. I find myself thanking God for the blessing of each day….even the hard ones. I learned the lesson of “perspective” many years ago and am so very glad I did. I appreciate your reminder of thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In You and Jeremy and your kids you all portray Christ...I have seen Omar multiple times and he is kind and friendly and truly AwEsOmE...I have been blessed by you all!!!

    ReplyDelete